A well-made soup is one of life’s simplest, most satisfying pleasures. The Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup Recipe is a delicious and comforting dish that is perfect for a cold day or when you are feeling under the weather. The combination of tender chicken, soft gnocchi, and creamy broth creates a satisfying flavorful meal. This soup is easy to make and can be customized with your choice of vegetables and herbs.
Why Love Chicken Gnocchi Soup
There are many reasons to love chicken gnocchi soup! Some of the main reasons include:
- It is comforting and satisfying as the combination of creamy broth and tender chicken and soft gnocchi create a warm and satisfying meal that is perfect for a cold day or you are feeling under the weather.
- Chicken Gnocchi soup is relatively easy to make, especially if you use store-bought gnocchi. It is a simple and pot meal and easy to prep.
- It is delicious and a combination of flavors and textures in chicken gnocchi soup is simply irresistible. The creamy broth, tender chicken, and soft gnocchi create a delicious and satisfying meal that is hard to resist.
- It is customizable and you can add a variety of vegetables and herbs to soup and suit your taste.
Read More: Creamy Rigatoni Pasta Recipe
Thoughts about adding Gnocchi to Soup
Gnocchi is soft, small dumplings that are traditionally made from potatoes. These are popular types of pasta in Italy that are served with vegetables, chicken, sauce, and cheese. If we talk about Gnocchi variation then it can be made with semolina, wheat flour, or ricotta cheese as well. They are typically boiled and then served as is, moreover you can also bake and grill them as well.
Gnocchi is a versatile ingredient that can be used in a variety of dishes, from soups and stews to casseroles and pasta bakes. Gnocchi can be made at home otherwise you can get ready-made from any pasta aisle in the grocery store or you can find it in the refrigerator with other fresh pasta.
The Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup Recipe
- 1 Skillet
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 medium Onion (yellow and diced)
- 4 cloves Garlic (crushed or minced)
- 1 pound Chicken Breast or Cooked Chicken (boneless and cut into cubes or strips)
- 5 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 stick Celery (diced)
- 1 and 1/2 cup Carrots (julienned)
- 1/2 cup All-purpose flour (for creamy sauce)
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Powder (optional)
- 1 cup Water (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tbsp Black pepper (freshly grind)
- 1 lb. Potato Gnocchi
- 1 cup Baby Spinach (you can use broccoli as option)
- 1/2 cup Mushrooms (diced or sliced)
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning (optional)
- 1 pinch Red chili flakes
- 1/2 cup Sun-dried tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 and 1/2 cup heavy cream and whole milk (you can use coconut milk for delicious taste)
- 1/2 cup Cheese (parmesan cheese)
- Take a large soup pot or skillet and add olive oil to it. keep your flame on medium-low. Now add onion into it and cook for 3-4 minutes until it gives a nice smell.
- Now add chicken and minced garlic cloves into it and cook until the chicken turned golden brown if you are using the cooked chicken then you can add the chicken later as well.
- Now add the veggies like carrots and celery and cook it well. After that now it's time to make a creamy sauce.
- You can use a separate pan for creamy sauce but I am using the same pot. Add butter to the pan and then add all-purpose flour and mix it well. After that mix the whole milk or coconut milk in it and mix it evenly. Now add sun-dried tomatoes to the mixture.
- Now add diced mushrooms (optional), gnocchi, and baby spinach leaves into it, and add all the spices like black pepper, salt, and a pinch of red chili flakes to it. Mix all the ingredients very well. After that add the chicken broth and cover the pot.
- Let the soup simmer for 7-8 mins on low medium flame and let all the things combined thoroughly. After that add heavy cream to the soup and let it cook for 2 more minutes. Now add thyme to your soup and you can add grated cheese as an option. The creamy chicken gnocchi soup is ready to serve.
- You can use sausages, beans, and corn to fill this gnocchi soup. The addition of variety is up to you according to your choice.
- If you don’t want to add baby spinach then you can use broccoli and sun-dried tomatoes as well.
- The mustard powder gives a nice and delicious texture to your soup and you can season this chicken gnocchi soup with Italian seasoning as well.
Must Try These Recipes along with Chicken Gnocchi Soup
Here are some recipes to try along with the chicken gnocchi soup
- Garlic Bread is easy to make and can be served as a side with chicken gnocchi soup.
- A grilled cheese sandwich can be served as a heartier meal with creamy chicken gnocchi soup and double up the flavor and make it a classic treat.
- Roasted Vegetables when sauteed with olive oil and black pepper and salt can be a perfect mixture to eat with chicken gnocchi soup. Vegetables can be used like bell pepper, zucchini, and cherry tomatoes.
Frequently Asked Question
Ques-1: Do you have to cook gnocchi before putting it in soup?
Yes of course. You have to boil the water first then put the gnocchi in it. When it comes to the surface of the water then take it out or boil it until soft.
Ques-2: Will gnocchi get soggy in soup?
If the gnocchi is overcooked then it becomes soggy. When you are making soup then try to add gnocchi at the very last step so that it must not become saggy.
Ques-3: Is it better to bake or boil gnocchi?
Roasting the gnocchi instead of boiling makes it crispy and soft and tender but will not give it the texture of dumplings.
Ques-4: Can you cook gnocchi in a pan instead of boiling it?
If you are making gnocchi at home then no need to boil the fresh gnocchi. You can simply fry it and enjoy the taste.
Ques-5: Do Italians boil or fry gnocchi?
Italians boil the gnocchi in salted water and then served it with different flavors and sauces along with various fillings of their own choice.