These Mashed Sweet Potatoes are loved by everyone as it is a traditional dish. If you are a foodie then why not mix up your spices and sweets together and turn them out in delicious mashed potatoes. They are rich and creamy in texture and you definitely don’t miss craving sweets.
Mashed Sweet potatoes are very easy and quick to make just like regular mashed potatoes. Sweet potatoes already have a very nice and creamy texture and they turned out the really amazing mash. This is a side recipe as it can be enjoyed with barbecue foods, salads, and sauteed veggies.
Read More: Best Garlic Butter Sauce
Tips for Making Best Mashed Sweet Potatoes
There are a few things you must keep in mind while making this perfect recipe. From choice to making everything must be in a sequence. So, let’s discuss them.
Choice and Preparation of Sweet Potatoes
The potatoes with red and orange are the perfect sweet potatoes. Their natural flavor is rich and creamy as compared to dry and purple hard sweet potatoes. The skin of potatoes must be firm and smooth. I normally buy sweet potatoes of small to medium size as they turned out to be the creamiest texture of mashed sweet potatoes.
While cooking or boiling your potatoes first clean and peel them then cut them into cubes. After that put them boiling with a pinch of salt. You can add thyme or rosemary leaves while boiling for extra flavor. Let them simmer in water and you can cook them in the microwave or oven as well.
Mashing The Potatoes
Use a potato masher as it is the easiest and most convenient equipment for the creamy and silkiest texture of your mashed sweet potatoes. If you are doing it with a fork then do it properly but my favorite is a potato masher. For an extremely smooth and creamy texture, you can use a food processor for potato mash.
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 1 potato masher (food processor) optional
- 1 Saucepan
- 6 Medium Sweet Potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 3/4 cups warm milk (as needed)
- 1/2 cup Butter (softened and cut in cubes)
- 1 and 1/2 tsp Salt (as required)
- 1/8 tsp Cinnamon powder
- 3 tbsp Sour Cream
- 1/2 tsp Black powder (ground)
- 3 roasted Garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup Maple syrup (as required)
- Fresh herbs (to sprinkle at top)
- Peel and cut your sweet potatoes into 1-inch cube size and add them into a large pot by adding enough water to it. Make sure that water must cover all of your potatoes. Now add a small amount of salt and let it boil on medium flame.
- Bring water to a boil then reduce the flame and let it simmer for almost 10 to 12 minutes. Check the potatoes with a fork and when you feel that the potatoes are done then drain all the water from the pot and remove it from the flame.
- Now it's time to mash your potatoes. I am using a potato masher but you can use a food processor for a more soft and creamy version of mashed sweet potatoes. Add butter, cinnamon powder, black pepper, and a pinch of salt in it.
- Now the next step is to add roasted garlic cloves and then you can add sour cream. Sour cream gives tanginess to your sweet mashed potatoes and it will lessen the effect of sweetness in your mashed potatoes. For more flavor, you can add maple syrup on top.
- It's time to serve and you can add the butter on top and sprinkle some mixed fresh herbs to give a nice look.
- If you want a more creamy version with a little bit of sourness then you can add sour cream to your mashed sweet potatoes. You can use buttermilk as well. I prefer to use sour cream in my mash recipe as it reduces the sweetness of potatoes with its tangy flavor.
- I love the garlic flavor in my mashed sweet potatoes so I am using roasted garlic cloves in my recipe.
- For more sweetness, you can use maple syrup or brown sugar at the top as well.
Variation for Sweet potatoes
Homemade sweet potato fries are a must-try recipe. When you are craving some snacks then these fries are a must-try.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes are the best recipe you can enjoy with the flavors and richness of honey, cinnamon, chili powder, and olive oil. You will definitely love it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are sweet potatoes healthier than potatoes?
Sweet potatoes are very nutritious for health as they are incredibly high in Vitamin A.
Is it better to boil or bake sweet potatoes?
Baking your sweet potato can cause a drop of about 80% in the Vitamin A level. From a nutritional point of view boiling your sweet potatoes is better than baking them.
Can you overcook sweet potatoes?
You can overcook your sweet potatoes for sure. They become more smooth and sweet by keeping them cooking and boiling.
Why are my mashed sweet potatoes watery?
These potatoes become watery because you don’t drain them enough. Excessive water can ruin our perfect mash so make sure to drain all the water and then you can put them to mash.
1 thought on “Best and Healthy Mashed Sweet Potatoes -The Blissful Blogger”
seems very delicious